Beta-glucan is a type of soluble dietary fibre found in various foods, including oats.
It's known for numerous health benefits, making it a valuable component of a healthy diet.
Scientifically proven to assist in reducing cholesterol, control blood sugar levels and protect you some cancers, beta glucan IS a superfood! if you'd like to know more - read on.
Here are some of the reasons why beta-glucan is considered beneficial:
1. HEART HEALTH - Beta-glucan has been shown to have a positive impact on heart health. It can help lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease. By reducing LDL cholesterol, beta-glucan may contribute to a decreased risk of heart disease and stroke.
3.CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR - Beta-glucan is a soluble fibre that adds bulk to stool and helps promote regular bowel movements. It can alleviate constipation and support overall digestive health from the diet. This can help prevent rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels, making it especially beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing the condition.
3. DIGESTIVE HEALTH - Beta-glucan is a soluble fibre that adds bulk to stool and helps promote regular bowel movements. It can alleviate constipation and support overall digestive health.
4. WEIGHT LOSS - Foods high in beta-glucan can help increase feelings of fullness and satiety. This can lead to reduced calorie intake and aid in weight management by curbing overeating.
5. IMMUNE SUPPORT - Some research suggests that beta-glucan may enhance the immune system's response to infections and improve overall immune function. It is often used as a supplement for immune support.
6. ANTI-INFLAMMATORY - Beta-glucan exhibits anti-inflammatory effects, which may help reduce the risk of chronic inflammatory conditions, including certain types of arthritis.
7. ANTIOXIDANT - Beta-glucan has antioxidant properties, which means it can help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. This may contribute to its protective effects against various chronic diseases.
8. SKIN HEALTH - Some skincare products contain beta-glucan due to its moisturizing and soothing properties. It is believed to help hydrate the skin, reduce redness, and promote a healthy skin barrier.
9. CANCER PREVENTION - While more research is needed, there is some evidence to suggest that beta-glucan may have a role in cancer prevention by stimulating the immune system's anti-tumor activity.
It's important to note that the effectiveness of beta-glucan may vary depending on the source and form in which it is consumed. Oats are a common higher source of beta glucan & a great option as a part of a balanced diet and overall healthy lifestyle. Check out some of our recipes to find out how you can include them in your diet.
This advice is general. Always consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant changes to your diet or incorporating supplements.